Thursday, January 14, 2010

Unwritten rules and expectations of culture

I find culture really interesting!!

I went to visit a couple of friends about a month ago and in their culture, in a husband and wife dont sit together then... there's trouble at home. In this culture it's not normal for the couple not to sit together, to tease each other in public. It's really formal weather with close friends or strangers. You get the feel of "It's just the two of us and there isn't any space for anyone else". It's really isolating. In this scenario, the couple may seems a bit insecure, not wanting to make a mistake maybe.

And then I thought about another couple I know who are from a different culture. They are always, like 70% of the time, teasing each other. One would say, you did this wrong and the other would tease and say something like "I know how much you love it when I do that" or be sarcastic or grovel. They're just always teasing each other and nudging or pinching each other on. It's ever so funny to watch. And they come out of it really graceful. You want to be around them because of it. You feel free to be yourself or free to relax. It's an empowering atmosphere. They are fun to be around. You wouldnt feel like you'd need to be a couple to get along with them.It's quite inclusive. In this scenario, the couple seems more secure in who they are or what they have, and accepting of each other.

To some level, yes it is culture but I guess personality comes into to it aswell. I try imaging the same scenarios living in the opposite cultures...
We should have LIFE and have it in abundance. It is our LIFE that is a LIGHT which draws all man to itself or to the LIGHT

1 comment:

BrOkEn BrEad said...

ps. it's card to find a relevant picture