Tyra Banks as Jesus?
Could this be true? Or what am I talking about….I’m guessing that’s the question on your mind. I watched one of Tyra Banks shows and I was like… WO!!!
Basically she had a show where she dressed up in a body suit that made her look like an obese woman and she looked really big! Anyway, she spent the day walking around as a fat woman and then she went on some blind dates to see the attitudes people had. People mocked her, laughed at her, people were reluctant to help her in stores, people would walk passed her and couldn’t look her in the eyes and that made her feel less of a person even though she knew that she could take that body suit off at the end of the day. She was still the same person she was inside but was treated differently and felt differently like she was less of a person. Tyra is someone who’s experienced racism a lot because of her job as a model that she’d been doing for like 13years or something. There were probably only one other black person in her circle of work associates etc. The point I'm trying to make is that she experienced racism for probably her whole life but she said if you compare this experience of her life with racism and compared it to that one day she had as a fat woman…being a fat woman was worse. There are lots of reason to say why this would be true i.e. you could rationalise the situation etc but it just shows that we think our experiences are worse also, with racism everyone knows that its wrong and people fight against being racist as opposed to being fat…society basically says that its ok to be “racist” to fat or obese people. There are so many other forms of racisms. It’s not just fat people, its people that we look at and just see extreme. It might be a goths who wear only black even at a wedding and colour their hair, nails, eye-line with black; or people who have earring all over his face or people who have tattoos all over their bodies… Its looking beyond what they are at the time to who they are.
Society has gone crazy! I know when you look at it, society gives the impression that pretty woman are woman who look perfect like models for example. They have to be tall, slim, pretty …beautiful! It turns out that we are racist to people who don’t fit into this category. If you see a fat obese person, you’ll look at them and might pass a rude comment or maybe you don’t say anything but you just look at them and they feel you looking at them. Or perhaps you can’t even look at them…they basically get the impression that they don’t exist, they are less of a person. I know we do things we don’t intend on doing but we forget how we affect people. As a Christian I know God expects me to be better than that. People have to look past the fat person and see their personality. To tell you the truth, I’m sure obese people know that there are obese and they have probably been fighting it and society doesn’t make it easy. Fat people already feel fat cause its their body they are walking around in, they probably feel like failures not being able to loose that weight, they have probably accepted that this is who they are …“I’m a fat person and that’s all I am” and that’s a lie everyone around them keeps telling them. Im sure we already give them a hard time, it would be nice to be a person who’d be a ray of light – some sort of hope for them.
Christ has felt what “racism” is like when he was spat at and eyed by people when He was about to die. He was ridiculed and completely naked… why? God loved and still loves and He did this so that no one would feel like this and have no hope. If I really love Christ then I wouldn’t want anyone to feel the way He felt. It should break my heart every time I see Christ being ridiculed, spat at and treated like less of a person! For what you do to the least of these, you do to Me. Christ has walked in peoples shoes (flesh) so that I and everyone else doesn’t have to walk in that light. We should be walking on His shoulders not His shoes.
I don’t know if Tyra Banks knows Christ but from what I saw on this particular show, she could basically say “I have been given the opportunity to preach the good news to the poor, to bind up the broken hearted…” read the book of Luke 4:18, the words of Jesus. All I’m saying is that this is Christ-like behaviour, its Christ-like heart. Can people look at me and my life and say that this is what my life is about? That my life is about Luke 4:18 cause that’s the heart of Christ.
I say that Tyra Banks was like Jesus because she was walking in peoples shoes. She took the time to walk in peoples shoes. She felt the pain that they did. She had compassion. She was exposing the lies that society has. She was challenging and speaking against the powers and principalities that are in our society, exposing them and breaking their power. And at the same time, she was changing the world, she was speaking to nations. I live in England and the show is all the way in the US so I know that they’d be people across the world that saw the show.
All I ask is to be humble enough to have the heart of Christ…Help me Lord to be like you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment