Thursday, December 29, 2005

Sex… a Holy Communion



1 Corinthians 11:23 For this is what the Lord himself said, and I pass it on to you just as I received it. On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took a loaf of bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." 25 In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant between God and you, sealed by the shedding of my blood. Do this in remembrance of me as often as you drink it." 26 For every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are announcing the Lord's death until he comes again. 27 So if anyone eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord unworthily, that person is guilty of sinning against the body and the blood of the Lord. 28 That is why you should examine yourself before eating the bread and drinking from the cup. 29 For if you eat the bread or drink the cup unworthily, not honoring the body of Christ, you are eating and drinking God's judgment upon yourself. 30 That is why many of you are weak and sick and some have even died. 31 But if we examine ourselves, we will not be examined by God and judged in this way. 32 But when we are judged and disciplined by the Lord, we will not be condemned with the world. 33 So, dear brothers and sisters, when you gather for the Lord's Supper, wait for each other.


I’ve often thought of sex as a holy thing despite my passed behaviour when looking through the history book of my life. Although this is true I must thank God that He has kept me. In my world people also think it’s an impossibility so I guess my life proves otherwise
Back to what I was saying… I really hope that this can be read as it IS, as opposed to it being read with the mindset of “yea well, you would feel that way”. I hope that it won’t be read thought the glasses of my life…
Anyway…I’ve often thought of sex as a holy thing. I remember the Passover meal / Holy Communion and the way I feel about it is that it’s a sacred thing. It should be just done with Jesus or a your priest giving you the bread and wine; it shouldn’t be taken plainly without thought or knowing what it is that your about to partake in. I believe the same thing applies when it comes to sex. That same feeling you get about how sacred Holy Communion is, a similar feeling should come about when it comes to sex. Sex is a holy and sacred thing.
It's interesting to know that the word intercourse pretty much means communication.
From the Passover meal, Jesus says He’s been waiting and looking forward to the day He’d share a meal with His friends. He had a close relationship with the disciples; they were like a band of brother. For them to have that meal was good. It’s like when you haven’t seen your best friend who you grew up with and you guys used to stay up till 3 in the morning sometimes crying because of all the chats and experiences you’ve had. If you haven’t seen this person for a while or if you know that you won’t see them for a very very long time, you’d want to set aside time to do something together that would make you feel close. And I guess sex in marriage is like that for example. I’ve looked forward to this hour with deep longing… I could say this because of the relationship that already stands that I have been looking forward to this hour with deep longing, anxious to share it with you…etc etc.
The Passover meal is Jesus sharing Himself with His friends and that is what the Holy Communion is about. We remember that Christ scarified His body that He suffered for the people H had chosen…all people. That’s what sex is about. It’s a sacrifice of myself, it’s me willingly giving and sharing myself to that one person of choice…the deepest part of me.
Jesus broke the break and gave it to those He loved. With sex, in females that is, something is broken…the hymen. You basically give yourself to the person you love.
And then the wine, this is the token or sign of the covenant. It’s an agreement sealed with blood. And that’s how God made us, when there is sex, there is blood (eaw! that sounds nasty but that biology for you). That’s the strongest form of agreement…blood. It’s like every time you have sex, you renew your vowels, like an anniversary.
Jesus says to have the Passover meal in remembrance of me. When husband and wife have sex they basically do it in remembrance of the covenant they made. Every time they have sex they remember that day they fell in love, they remember why they are together and this will strengthen the relationship and will bring healing. The Holy Communion brings healing and strengthens me because I remember that I am loved to death by Christ.
Sex was created by God and because of this, it is good in the intended context.
I feel like I talk about sex a lot. I think I do that because it’s not spoken much about in the community of Christians. You don’t really get to hear people’s experiences or ask questions of just fight with the whole idea or just chat. Am I going to extremes? I don’t believe I am. Not only is it not really spoken about much in the Christian community but no one really cares in the world and those who do…? Sex is sacred and mysterious and beautiful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BrOkEn BrEad said...

i definately agree about the sex talk thing.i wonder what the analogy is.please do tell